8 Sept 2010

lions, tigers and bears oh my!

My new home is full of adventures that's for sure.

1) yesterday I was running in the forest and accidentally stood on a huge snake! No I am not kidding - thought I was going to die. It was about a metre and a half long and as thick as my arm and I just wasn't looking for it, I guess it just isn't in my realm of understanding. I think I screamed the forest down and bolted home after it slid away into the bushes...sooo lucky.


2) So I thought I should really learn the law of the land and some basic first aid for the native flora and fauna after aforementioned snake incident. I decided to cycle to the mall to buy a book on Australian wildlife and got attacked by magpies. Seriously, Bird Strike is no laughing matter. It was scarier than the bloody snake. Same day even - you wouldn't read about it, think I should've bought a lotto ticket!

3) Have had kangaroo steak and kebabs, which were very very nice much to my surprise. I think when you have really low expectations and anticipate an unpleasant experience you usually surprise yourself.

4) Have also been bitten by ants, mosquitoes bigger than depicted on Land of the Lost and Jurassic Park and had a run in with a large lizard at the beach.

5) Finally, last week after running in the sun followed by job hunting in inappropriate attire and high heels, not enough water and too much walking I got heatstroke. Result was not pretty. 31oC for goodness sake and it is only the first week of Spring!

So many adventures in my new land, have been told to retreat to my homeland where it is safe but this fearless adventurer will soldier on...albeit after learning about envenomation compression bandages!

In a while crocodile (probably literally)

C.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment